You can take them or leave them but here are a few tricks and tips that have helped me with my weight loss so far. If one of them helps you then my part is done. Hopefully you can use some of these too.
1. I don't eat off of a regular dinner plate. The salad plate holds all the food I need and a one serving bowl if I am out to dinner does even better.
2. I don't like egg whites alone but love the benefits of them. I use 2 egg whites and one full egg for an omelet in the mornings and it gives me more flavor and the ability to swallow.
3. I think salad is gross. Easy as that, but I find that if I finely chop spinach and putt it in other things like spaghetti sauce helps me get my veggies in without having to choke down a salad.
4. I don't watch TV by sitting on the couch. I watch from my treadmill. I still get to watch most of my shows and burn a few calories in the process.
5. I treat diet drinks like a prize. For the most part I don't drink Diet Cokes anymore. Mostly water for me. But if I have had a good day or bad day or anything in between I enjoy a Diet Coke. I try not to use food as a reward.
6. I have discovered that completely cutting yourself off from a food you love will never work out well for long. I eat chocolate nearly everyday, but not an entire candy bar but rather a Hershey's Kiss or mini York peppermint patty. It keeps me from going crazy like I have in the past and eating 3 candy bars when I just cant stand not to have it anymore.
7. If you cant resist it, don't buy it. A few years back I made a list of foods that I didn't like so I stopped eating them. BBQ was on this list for me. Well now there is a new list. I know I cannot have potato chips or peanut butter in my house. No matter what I do or the willpower I think I have I cannot resist these 2 foods. So, I DON'T BUY THEM! If I'm at Subway, I get chips and a drink but not at home.
8. It is not an option for my life to stop so that I can be on a diet. Sometimes eating out on the spur of the moment is part of that. I have newly discovered that you can order your food in a to go box(this was learned during the gastric experiment) and eat what you want and take the rest with you. That way you can enjoy something you didn't have to cook twice. If you are like me...you will never eat the left overs so basically you just didn't over eat at the restaurant. It feels good to leave satisfied and not stuffed.
9. It is OK to throw away food. Yes, there are starving children all over the world, but me eating all the food on my plate does not help them at all. Being overweight does not help the starving children either. If you are full, you are full, throw the food away. It's ok I promise.
10. Make an honest list of the reasons you want to lose weight. I have one taped to the back of my closet door. Mine has a lot of reasons on it. For example, one of mine is "to not end up with weight related health issues" and another one is "to have an article of clothing that has a single digit size" They are on 2 different ends of the spectrum but they are both real honest reasons I want to lose weight.
11. Keep one article of clothing that doesn't fit anymore. I have a pair of pants that hang in my closet that don't fit anymore. I have them for one single thing. When I get discouraged because the weight is just not coming off or I feel fat for the day. (This happens every now and then. Its hard to still be overweight when you've lost 80 some odd pounds.) I put these pants on and trot around in front of the mirror. It helps me put things into perspective. There is more to go but how far have you made it so far....
I hope these little tips can help you in some way or the other. Maybe they just make you laugh a little bit...but either way they work for me and I hope they help you out a little bit too.